Another classic chapter in Charles G. Finney’s Lectures on Revivals of Religion is ON BEING FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT. It bears reading in its entirety, after reading his previous chapter on HOW TO PROMOTE A REVIVAL. It’s worthwhile to see the reasons that he gives for believers not being filled with the Spirit:
- Worldly mindedness.
- Shallow confession of sins.
- Neglecting known obedience.
- Resistance of the conviction of the Holy Spirit.
- Not wanting to be filled with the Holy Spirit.
- Not praying to be filled with the Holy Spirit.
If we wonder why there seems to be so much conformity and superficiality among many in the modern evangelical church, we can say that many are not filled with the Spirit and walking in the Spirit daily. It bears re-reading Finney again. His chapter is convicting, of course, but more than worth the time to read and consider what he had to say.